Monday, November 9, 2009

Berlin Wall

Today marks the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall (or that's what I thought... I know it fell in 1989, but I had no Idea of the specific date... I just saw some stuff on the internet about it this morning that looked pretty legit so I decided to run with it) In honor of this important anniversary, I thought it would be nice to take a look at some other walls and wall-related stuff.

The Great Wall of China
















You have to admit that this is a pretty epic wall. It was built between the 5th and 16th centuries to keep out invading dudes. Also, it's over 8,000k long and you can see it from space!

The "Green Monster"


















I'm not a big Red Sox fan (Yankees = World Series champs... take that!), but the "Green Monster" at Fenway park is notorious for crushing hopes of many would-be home run hits.

"The Wall"

How could I talk about walls without mentioning Pink Floyd's classic rock opera about an isolated dude who builds a wall? If you ask me, that's pretty wall-related. Anyway, it's a great album and a confusing movie (I haven't seen the whole movie, but I can't immagine it making that much sense to me even if I had)

The wall that Humpty Dumpty fell off

















The tragedy of Humpty Dumpty is a well known part of everyone's childhood. If it wasn't for the wall, poor Humpty might still still be with us today (probably not though... he would have hatched or rotted by now).

When I think about it, why did they need the king's horses to help fix Humpty? I could understand why all the king's men would be needed (actually, I can't. why did the king even care about humpty... he's just an egg), but horses obviously don't have the fine motor skills needed to fix an egg... they don't even have opposoble thumbs!

"Stonewall" Jackson



















In case you didn't know, "Stonewall" Jackson was one of the most famous and skilled military Commanders in American history. Even though the Confederate army was eventually pwned by the Union forces, "Stonewall" gave Abraham Lincoln and his buddies plenty of grief until he died of pneumonia.

Hadrian's Wall















I have to admit that I totally forgot what this was until someone reminded me today (thanks, Spencer), but Hadrian's Wall was commissioned by the Roman emperor Hadrian around 122 to defend the Roman Empire in what is now northern England. It was around 117k long, and it was made of rocks and stuff... that sounds pretty cool to me.

The Fourth Wall
























the Fourth Wall is probably my favorite wall. It's that thing that separates the actions and events that occur on stage or screen from the real world that the audience lives in. It's kind of hard to display an imaginary wall in a picture... so I put a funny web comic up where the Fourth Wall is broken instead.

Wall-E


















Last but certainly not least, there's Wall-E, the lovable robot from the movie. I haven't actually seen Wall-E (I know... shame on me... if anyone has a copy, can I borrow it?) so that's all I really have to say about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment