Thursday, February 4, 2010

Disillusioned vs. Jaded

Sometime last semester, I found myself in the middle of an argument about the subtleties of the English language. While I don't claim to be any sort of authority on these issues, I try to dispense my knowledge when it seems appropriate and this issue seemed like it required my attention. The argument started when one of my friends claimed that the two words had the same meaning. I claimed the opposite and drama ensued. Afterwords, I was dissatisfied because I felt as I hadn't accurately conveyed my point. Now that I have an open forum to express my views, I think I'll settle this issue once and for all.

To the best of my knowledge, disillusionment arises when a person has seen through the hype and mystique regarding a particular subject and therefore begins to reject the subject altogether.

One becomes jaded when they grow familiar with a particular subject to the point that they are unresponsive to things which were once shocking.

After I checked with Dictionary,com, I realized that I'm sort of right (their definitions were relatively simple and lead to multiple interpretations)... but I seriously need to get a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment